Buy Buttons, 1-Click Upsells, Downsells & OTO’s using Authorize.net
Selling through Authorize.net, 1-Click Upsells, Downsells and One-Time Offers (OTO’s) are all now extremely simple to implement using the new Shopping Cart Plugin for DAP.
This post explains how to create buy buttons for selling through Authorize.net.
Your site visitors never have to leave your site in order to make a purchase, if you are selling through Authorize.net. DAP itself will act as your shopping cart, and buyers can checkout and make purchases by staying right on your web site.
The DAP Shopping Cart itself is your actual shopping cart that connects to Authorize.net. You need to install this plugin whether you wish to accept one-time or subscription payments via Authorize.net, or whether you wish to do Upsells, and Downsells.
What you need before you can use this plugin
- You need an Authorize.net merchant account
- If you want to sell subscription-based products, then you also need Automated Recurring Billing (ARB) enabled in your Authorize.net account.
- You must have SSL (secure server) enabled on your web site. Ask your web host to enable SSL for your site.
- You must have a working version of DAP 3.5+.
Installation & Setup of UpsellTree
- You need be using at least DAP v3.5 for this.
- If you haven’t installed DAP already, then install DAP first.
- Log in to our member’s area and download the plugin file, DAPShoppingCart.zip .
- Unzip DAPShoppingCart.zip to your desktop. It will unzip the files to a new folder on your desktop, called DAPShoppingCart.
- Upload ALL of the files inside, DIRECTLY to your “dap” folder on your web site. DO NOT upload the folder itself – just the files inside.
- Log in to your Authorize.net account, and go to the “Settings” page.
- Click on Silent Post URL.
- On the next page, set the URL field, to http://YourSite.com/dap/dap-silentpost.php . Be sure to change the text “YourSite.com” to your actual domain name. Click “Submit”. It will take you back to the Settings page.
- On the Settings page, now click on the “API Login ID and Transaction Key” link towards the bottom.
- On the next page, make a note of your “API Login ID” and “Transaction Key” on a piece of paper (or copy/paste it into a text file). That page also lets you create a new Transaction key or modify your existing one.
- That’s it for Authnet.
- Now, log in to your DAP Dashboard on your side, and go to “DAP Admin > Setup > Config > Payment Processing“.
- Enter the “API Login ID” and “Transaction Key” that you noted down earlier (Step #9 above) into the respective fields, and click “Update” next to the fields to save the changes.
- This step applies to you only if you are already using 1ShoppingCart with DAP (if not, skip to next step):
Be sure to remove the “Email Order” cron job from your web hosting control panel (“Cron Jobs” screen), because you don’t want your orders to be double-processed.
- Go to the Products > Manage.
A) Product Price: For a 1-time purchase product, this is the product’s purchase price. For a recurring product, this is the “recurring” price (what the customer gets charged month after month).
B) Trial Amount: This is only if there’s a trial amount. If no trial, leave this empty.
C) Recurring Count: How long is your subscription? If you said “Forever”, then enter the number 9999 here. If it ends after 6 months, then enter 6 here.
- Set these fields to valid values.
- NOTE: The DAP Authorize.net allows 1 trial. So in the recurring cycle fields, make sure “Payment/Trial Period #2” and “Payment/Trial Period #3” are both the same (set to same number of days: like 30). Example below shows the setting for a “7 day” trial period, followed by recurring payments every “30 days”.
- If you are not offering a trial, then just set the Trial Amount to $0.00. But if you really wanted to offer a FREE TRIAL, then you must set the Trial Amount to at least $0.01 (1 penny).
- Once you’ve saved the product, you can now click on any of the two new “Generate… Button Code” links that are located right below the product list combo box.
- “Generate Authnet Buy Button” link:
This generates the buy button HTML code for your product, which you can then directly paste into your sales page. When you click on this link, you will get a pop-up that shows the actual HTML code for your button. The price, trial price, and recurring options are all taken from your Product settings. So make sure you have saved your Product changes before you click on this link.
- Here’s what the HTML code looks like:
<form name="generate_authnet" method="post" action="https://www.contentresponder.com/dap/buy.php">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Example Subscription Product"/>
<input type="hidden" name="description" value="This is a dummy Subscription Product with a monthly subscription - payments every 30 days." />
<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="1.00" />
<input type="hidden" name="trial_amount" value="0.01" />
<input type="hidden" name="total_occurrences" value="9999" />
<input type="hidden" name="is_recurring" value="Y" />
<input type="hidden" name="recurring_cycle_1" value="30" />
<input type="hidden" name="recurring_cycle_2" value="30" />
<input type="hidden" name="recurring_cycle_3" value="30" />
<input type="hidden" name="payment_succ_page" value="https://www.contentresponder.com/dap/continue.php?url=/dap/upsell1.html" />
<input type="hidden" name="payment_gateway" value="authnet" />
<input type="hidden" name="is_submitted" value="Y" />
<input type="submit" value="Buy Now" />
- If you’re doing upsells, the only thing you need to do is, look for the “payment_succ_page” field in the above form. By default it is pointing to:
- Modify the “upsell1.html” file within your dap folder, to make your 1-Click Upsell offer. Or if you don’t wish to use 1-Click upsells, you can make just about any kind of upsell offer on that page. The upsell1.html that comes with the plugin has a sample upsell page already created for you, just so you get an idea of what that will look like.
- On the upsell page, if you want to upsell say, Product B, then make sure you set up “Product B” ahead of time in DAP, and set up the price and recurring options. Then for upsell products only, click on the “Generate Authnet 1-Click Upsell” link to generate the 1-Click Upsell Buy button code, as the upsell buy button is slightly different than the ‘regular’ buy button code. Now take the upsell buy button code like you did before, and paste it in upsell1.html. That’s it.
- You can repeat this process for unlimited upsells, downsells and one-time offers. No limits.
While it looks like a LOT of steps, that is only because we have to explain the steps in detail so they are clear. In reality, it is very simple to set up, and starting from scratch, if you have DAP & SSL already installed, it shouldn’t take you more than 1/2 hour to set up your 1-Click Upsells/Downsells/OTO’s. And if you’re not using Upsells/Downsells, then it can be done even faster.
If you have any further questions, feel free to open a support ticket, and we will assist you in getting this going.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ravi Jayagopal, Ravi Jayagopal. Ravi Jayagopal said: DAP "Upsell Tree" w/ Unlimited 1-Click Upsells: http://www.digitalaccesspass.com/doc/upsell-tree-1click-upsells-downsells-otos/ #in […]