Your Host Does Not Support Cron Jobs
Question: You ask what to do if your host does not support cron jobs?
Short answer: You may want to switch your hosting company.
The basic idea of a cron jobs is that it allows you to run scheduled tasks, that run automatically, frequently, silently, in the background, without requiring manual intervention.
DAP uses cron jobs to do things like…
- Send out autoresponder emails
- Send out broadcast emails
- Manage your outgoing queue of emails so that you can stay within your cheap web host’s strict hourly email sending limits
- Process and manage affiliate data & commissions , and
- Do some clean up jobs
Any membership plugin that offers email broadcasts, autoresponders and other bulk tasks, will likely ask you to set up cron jobs for sending out emails. You couldn’t possibly send out an email blast to even 500 members in real time as your browser will timeout.
DAP requires you to set up a cron job to do all of the tasks above.
If yours doesn’t, seriously you have only 2 choices…
- Stick to your host but lose the ability to use powerful scripts like DAP.
- Or do the smart thing and move to a better host. There are plenty of good ones out there, and there are a few we recommend highly, and they’re very inexpensive.